* Can be placed in a moist environment
* Uses high viscosity glass ionomers
* Can be placed without a drill, electricity, suction and running water
* No preconceived cavity design
* Only soft infected dentine is removed
* The shape of the carious lesion defines the cavity: minimal preparation
* Both resin based and poly-alkenoic- based materials are used. high viscosity glass ionomers are mostly used.
* Both the cavity and pits and fissures are filled and sealed resulting in a sealant restoration
* The ART treatment can be carried out without drill, electricity, suction, and running water and very seldom requires anesthesia.
ART is thus both restorative and preventive. More details can be found in the ART manual.